Learning a programming language today is much easier with the availability of many internet resources. If exploring too many resources overwhelms you, even before you start, you need to find a way to plan your learning.
If you are learning Java and exploring ways to accelerate your learning, this article can help. We are about to share some top tips and tricks that can help you overcome the most common challenges that slow down Java learners.
Aide the learning with an exciting project
Programming is best learned with practice, so you must not depend on cramming through books and theory but get your hands dirty by working on code. And when we say work on code, we don’t imply the end of chapter exercises but a real-life Java project. Nothing excites a learner more than trying to achieve a well-functioning application at the end. There are several benefits of learning by working on a project. You get to put all that you read to practical use. You do not feel the monotony of just reading through texts and it keeps you engaged. This approach helps you learn your strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, if you worked on projects during Java upskilling, you can mention them in your resume. Companies prefer candidates who have worked on at least a few coding projects.
Practice, there’s no alternative
If you’re not practicing, you can never master a craft no matter how many Java learning resources you go through. Textbook knowledge never made great programmers; writing code again and again did.
One of the best tips we have to share is to use the 80-20 rule to accelerate your learning. Invest 80% of your learning time in writing code and practical training, while the rest 20% on theory. Start learning new concepts through books and online resources in small portions. Then, master what you learn by repeatedly practicing with a code editor before you move to the next concept.
Being pragmatic is essential to fast-track your Java learning. You can try several tools to learn Java through coding exercises. We recommend:
CodeGym is an excellent resource for beginners to learn Java. There are over 1200 tasks that teach you Java through step-by-step lessons. All the tasks are supported by virtual mentors who evaluate your code and provide instant feedback to improve it.
Codechef is a competitive programming website where you can find exciting challenges to learn Java through. Once you have gained the basic knowledge of Java through CodeGym, you can move ahead by practicing challenges here.
Java upskilling on your own is an uphill challenge, and it can be tough to stay organized and consistent. A problem you are stuck on might often compel you to end your learning process. The best approach at this point is to seek support from other learners. Throughout learning Java, you must keep an open mind and not be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t know where to find like-minded Java learners, here are some active communities to find them:
Reddit channels r/java and r/javahelp.
No Pain — No Gain: don’t set the bar too low
While the tips we shared here for Java learning will simplify the process for you, don’t limit yourself to the most straightforward problems. Keep progressing through the exercises as you start getting comfortable with your skills. Learning Java is easy, but being job-ready requires more than just familiarity with the basic concepts. You must endure the pain and take up challenges.
But remember, do not try to learn too many programming languages or take several courses simultaneously. It is not going to fast-track your Java learning, instead, it will confuse you. Start with one or two resources and stick to them. Finish nailing down the concepts you learned with repeated coding assignments before moving on to other Java learning resources.
Keep learning sessions long
Experienced programmers agree that too many breaks or frequent breaks can hinder learning. You have to make your learning sessions long enough to spend at least an hour on coding.
One hour of pure coding implies spending 2 to 3 hours on learning Java every day because when you account for time spent searching resources, looking up references, and Googling answers, it all adds up. You have to be quick with learning. In the IT industry, skills change fast and frequently. It will also serve you well in your career when you must quickly take up a new job skill.
The above-mentioned tips for Java upskilling will hopefully make it easier and quicker for you to master Java. But being a programmer means a lifelong learning mindset to anticipate market trends and stay afloat by honing your coding skills.
Talent500 is the platform top Indian talent uses to upskill and be job-ready. We connect you with the best employers globally, ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies. Join us here.