Python has taken the IT domain by storm. The two major reasons for its immense popularity are its readability and easy learning curve. Over its journey of many years, Python has established itself as a valuable framework and gained huge acceptance in high-specialty domains, such as automation & utility programs.
In fact, the data analytics and scientific programming realm readily embraced Python. This is, to date, the most notable achievement of Python.
Apart from this, Python also demonstrated spectacular evolution with the web. From the primitive era of Web 1.0 to the groundbreaking advancements in Web2.0 featuring the REST architecture for defining API, several Python-based web development frameworks were conceptualized.
So what exactly is Python API? Let’s find out!
To understand API python, first, let’s discuss in brief what an API is.
API in the engineering realm, an acronym for Application Programming Interface, is a set of protocols shared by a particular service.
APIs allow a product, service or database to communicate with other interfaces without having to know their implementation intricacies. APIs can, therefore, significantly streamline the app development process.
Simplified app development leads to considerable money, resource and time savings. Whether you’re building a new tool from scratch or managing already existing ones—APIs provides you incredible flexibility, design simplification and easy usage. Thus developers enjoy broader opportunities for bringing innovation.
So how did Python and API become a winning combo?
From a Python perspective, you’ll generally make a request for retrieving information or data. As A response to this request, the API returns a response with your requested details. This process is known as API calling.
To work with APIs in Python programming, you’ll need a set of tools to make those requests. Therefore, Python developers should create APIs using various frameworks to connect to other services, platforms or products and establish a streamlined workflow.
As discussed previously, Python is an incredibly versatile programming language. And therefore, it’s well-suited to tackle the intricacies of API development.
In fact, developers prefer using Python language for API development due to its extensively supportive library, user-friendliness and simple syntax.
This article will discuss the top 10 API frameworks that developers can use for Python-based software development.
Top 10 Python API Framework For Web Development
The most popular Python API frameworks include:
Django is one of the most popular, open-source and free Python API frameworks. With Django API Framework, developers can easily and quickly develop intricate codebases and high-performing applications.
Django Framework is the foundation of more than 12000 successful projects. Additionally, it is one of the earliest web development Python frameworks.
The most striking features of Django Framework are its extensive library, less requirement for coding and reusable elements.
The eminent features of Django API Framework include:
- Helps in defining application URL patterns.
- Integrated authentication support
- Supports URL routing with a powerful system
- Prebuilt libraries empower full-stack development.
- Developers can enjoy one of the most secure data storage and recovery with this object-oriented programming language database.
- The automatic admin interface enables the editing and deleting functionality with flexibility for customization.
- Follows MVC-MVT architecture.
- Cache framework for supporting multiple cache mechanisms.
Pyramid is well known among developers for its immense versatility. From complex web applications to simple software, you can develop almost everything using the Pyramid framework.
Pyramid presents the best blend of micro-framework and full-stack python API development framework. You can start developing your projects with small and simple models and advance to complicated ones as you progress through the pipeline.
Additionally, Pyramid also offers extensive support documentation.
The eminent features of Pyramid API Framework include:
- Performs exceptionally well on both simple and large apps
- URL mapping powered by URL dispatch and WebHelpers
- Validation and generation of HTML structure
- WSGI framework is supported by MVC architecture.
- All-embracing templating and asset details
- Flexible yet secure authentication and approval
Searching for a Framework for small app development and Python API building? A bottle is a perfect choice for you. It is one of the most extensive Python API web development frameworks.
The primary reason for its popularity is that it doesn’t require third-party tools and libraries to support web development. Instead, it leverages the Standard Python Library, allowing developers to work just with simple hardware.
Previously Bottle supported Python 2.5-2.7 and 3.0. However, the recent version release dropped support for older Python versions 2.5 and 2.6.
The versatile platform availability allows developers to perform cross-platform development with Bottle.
Features of bottle API Framework include:
- Allows Request-dispatching route
- Speed optimizations supporting testing and high-performance.
- Quick and pythonic integrated template engine and backing.
- Integrated HTTP server
- Plug-ins available for various databases
- Allows Third-party template engines and WSGI/HTTP servers
- Seamless and dynamic URL-mapping powered by simplified syntax.
- Allows easy access to data, file uploads, cookies, and other HTTP-related metadata.
Developers can create highly functional web applications using various tools such as SQLAlchemy, Repoze, Genshi, etc., making the development faster compared to other similar frameworks.
Furthermore, Turbogears supports several databases and web servers such as Pylons. The framework is based on an MVC (Model-View-Controller) design.
Leading Enterprises using Turbo wear for API and web development include ShowMeDo and SourceForge.
Eminent features of TurboGear
- MVC-design architecture and PasteScript templates.
- Multi-database support.
- Easy to access command-line tools.
- Simplified coordination of frontend design and server deployment powered by ToscaWidgets
Flask is one of the most eminent, lightweight WSGI micro-framework supporting full-stack web development in Python programming.
The learning curve is simple. And the developers can create efficient and highly scalable web applications quickly. Apart from that, Flask also has efficient features for integrated unit testing and secured cookies support.
The best part? Flask framework isn’t restricted to a particular library or tool extension. You get the flexibility to utilize any Python libraries and tools.
Eminent Features Of Flask Framework
- Google App Engine compatible
- Integrated debugger
- In-built Unit testing
- Client-Side work cookie support
- Unicode based
- jinja2 template and Werkzeug WSGI toolkit
- HTTP request handling
This 10-year-old Python API framework has emerged as one of the quickest and most stable web development frameworks. CherryPy is an open-source Python web development framework embedded with its own multi-hung server. Therefore, it can be easily used on any functional framework that supports Python.
Since CherryPy supports web development similar to object-oriented Python programming, smaller source development can be done in less time.
Eminent features of CherryPy
- Integrated tools support static content, encoding, caching, authentication, etc
- Easily supports versatile HTTP servers at once
- Integrated support for profiling, coverage, and testing.
- Runs efficiently on various Python versions, including 2.7+, 3.5+, PyPy, Jython and Android
- A robust configuration framework for both developers and deployers
Grok is an open-source framework supported by Zope toolkit technology. Developers can enjoy an agile development experience. The framework focuses on two fundamental principles:
- Convention over configuration
- DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself).
Grok enables rapid application development processes.
Eminent features of Grok framework:
- Provides a robust foundation to developers for creating powerful, highly-functional and extensible web applications
- A powerful object database for storage
- Web developers can leverage the powerful benefits of Zope 3
- Integrated security allows only secured users to access your application
- With Grok component architecture, developers can minimize the unpredictability of web development
- Powers custom business web application development using various building blocks and other essential assets.
Web2py represents another highly-functional, open-source and scalable full-stack Python development API framework.
This Python API Framework supports almost every operating system, including mobile interfaces. This web-based, feature-enriched framework encompasses powerful functionalities such as a code editor, single-click deployment and much more.
The only drawback of this Python API framework is that it doesn’t support Python 3 version.
Based on model view controller design, Web2py facilitates rapid development.
Eminent features of Web2py include:
- Enables readability of multiple protocols
- Web-based structure and platform independent framework
- Backward compatibility
- Enables role-based access controls
- Installation or configuration don’t require any pre-requirements.
This micro-framework is popular in the industry for developing Web APIs. Developers can design minimal, easy and simple designs for HTTP and REST architectures using Falcon. Falcon powers some prominent industry leaders, including LinkedIn and OpenStack.
Eminent features of the Falcon framework include:
- WSGI Support
- Complete code coverage
- Developers can easily access headers and bodies without any inconvenience.
- Cython support with impeccable speed
- Upfront exception handling
- Extensible and highly-optimized codebase
Tornado is a Python API development framework presenting an offbeat framework library. Given the non-blocking framework I/O and powerful capability to deal with 10,000+ simultaneous connections, it has become an extraordinary tool for developing web applications that need a huge number of simultaneous clients.
Eminent Features of Tornado include:
- Enables easy implementation of 3rd-party authentication and authorization.
- It offers superior-quality output.
- User authentication support and Web templates.
APIs are rapidly becoming popular in the development field. They have now become the cornerstone of modem web development. Choose the best Python API framework for your business, depending on your unique development project requirements.